The Perfect Fit: Measuring Your Furniture
- Length: Measure from the furthest points right to left.
- Width: Measure from the furthest points from back to front.
- Height: Measure from floor to the highest point of the item.
- Seat Height: Measurement from floor to the top of the seat cushion. (Seat Space)
- Back Height: Measure from the floor to the top of the frame back. Please remove all pillows and cushions before you take this
measurement. It may also be helpful to see if the feet can be removed to give you more space.
- Diagonal Depth: Measure from the front of the arm to the top of the back. Find the midpoint of that measurement and measure
from the midpoint to the lower back leg.
Once you have determined that your new furniture will fit in your room, it is now very important to make sure it will fit through doorways, stairways, or other points of entry.
To insure proper delivery, please follow these guidelines:
- Measure the width and height of your entryways, including all doorways, hallways, and elevator openings.
- Depending on your measurements, the item may enter straight through the opening, or at an angle. Determining the best approach will make your delivery much easier.
- For items such as sofas and chairs, measure the overall depth, length, back height, and diagonal measurement. Diagonal measurements are helpful when determining if the piece can be brought in on its end. To determine the diagonal measurement, measure from the top of the back to the front of the arm. Find the midpoint of that measurement and measure from the midpoint to the lower back leg.
- Make sure that there is a clear and unobstructed path in front of, and beyond each doorway. Make note of any fixtures, decorative moldings, interior walls, ceiling heights, stairwells, and banisters that may post an obstacle once inside.